Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bellina in Clover


"Bellina in Clover"
(in progress)
5x7 acrylic on canvas
$150 plus $10 for shipping in the US
SOLD

Bellina the Burmese Mountain Dog is seated in a beautiful field of clover. I'm just getting started on her and I see somethings that need a little changing already.

One of the things I like best is when I'm looking directly into the eyes of a dog. So much so that, I often mistakenly shift the angle of the photo I'm working from. When the photo is from above the dog is when it happens the most. Right now she looks more like a Border Collie than a Mountain Dog.

I know that's one of the reasons I love paint more than pencil, because I can erase with it in a way that allows me to keep the parts I'm happy with while doing away with those I don't like.

One of the reasons I do the coffee hounds, besides the fact they're so fun, is to improve my efficiency. They are more an exercise in gesture and form than realism. Something all artists struggle with, some more than others. I'm the kind that struggles with it.

More coffee hounds soon I promise.

Bri-

No comments: