Friday, August 14, 2009

Greener Grass...



"Tule in the Field"
(in progress)

24x18 acrylic on canvas
SOLD

So today I spent several hours working on the grass and then just about a half hour on Tule. The grass has come in nicely to a degree, but I think it needs to go lighter. When I step back from it, it just feels a little to dark.

When working without an actual reference for the grass I'm depicting I get to be a little more free with my approach. That comes with it's own problems though. Without a picture telling me what to do I have to decide for myself. So what do I want? I want something light and full of life, but in order to get there it's better to start darker. It's easier to get lighter as the painting progresses, but not so easy to make it darker as I go along.

Well, I could make it darker, but things get darker way to quickly most of the time, so it's better to start dark and get light.

Bri-

No comments: