Sunday, September 25, 2011

Painting upside down...


"Form Strategic Partnerships"
(in progress)
18"x36" acrylic on canvas
$4500 US dollars plus shipping


I spent the day painting upside down. I find it so much easier to paint this way when my subject has so many converging lines. Okay, whenever I'm painting buildings this helps me to focus on light and form. My brain shuts off a little, and instead of trying to create buildings, it works mostly on the shapes that make up said building.

What I'm liking best is the light coming from the arched window in the Graphic Design Building. For the those of you who are curious as to the location of this scene, it's Varick St. in NYC near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. I want to know what's going on behind that window.

After spending most of the day with the painting flipped, I turned it over to add some windows to the far left building, and sure enough I got the placement wrong. Back to the upside down today.

Bri-

No comments: