Sunday, November 14, 2010

Working the sheets...

"Paco in the Big Bed"
(in progress)

20"x16" acrylic on canvas
SOLD


I decided to make a change to the sheets today. Not in my bed, but in this painting. I work from photographs, but I'm not trying to recreate the photo. I of course want my paintings to feel life like, but I have no desire to copy to photo. Improving upon what's in the photo is my goal. Something more alive than the two dimensional image I work from.

The quilt on the bed in the photo is beautiful and intricate, I see no reason to duplicate it in paint though. The real subject is Paco, and the viewer doesn't need to be distracted by the details of a quilt.

An artist friend named Ann, gets very upset with people who think that the only art worth anything, is works of photo realism. I think sometimes that any kind of realism bothers her. I think of my work as somewhere in between the two styles.

I also worked on an abstract background today, and I'm feeling the pull toward those even stronger. I think that will be my style of choice for the foreseeable future. Stay tuned to see if that holds true.

Bri-

No comments: